Wednesday 9 July 2014

The Bride Series - The Bride Painted

This is the last of this series of pieces - and this one is different to the other two in that it is a framed piece, rather than a 3D mask.

The inspiration came from a photo of a young South American girl, her face painted and her head part shaved, that I found on Pinterest.

I used the 'quilt as you go' method using my hand dyed fabrics to represent the painted markings on her face and the bluish shaved part of her head.  A mask shape made from painted and heat treated tyvek continued the Mask theme and a flutter of fabric leaf shapes decorated her hair.

This piece was framed to protect the fabrics.

Before it was framed - I couldn't get a decent shot after it was framed because the light kept reflecting off the glass.
The Bride 1 – Painted

Height:   85 cm
Width:    90 cm
Depth:    4 cm

Materials:             
·         Tyvek, painted with acrylic
·         Hand dyed cotton fabric
·         Cotton batting
·         Silk cord
·         Cotton threads
·         Perle embroidery threads
·         Linen threads
·         Silk threads

The Bride Series was my contribution to our first, 'real' exhibition - 'our' being my Textile Arts cohort, collectively known as Stitch Theorem.

It was a huge learning curve and the experience held us in good stead for our Graduate Exhibition - and what I'll be talking about from next week.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments - so please feel free!!