Thursday 8 September 2011

Sunshine and finishes and following your bliss

After my breast cancer last year I made the decision not to work in the City nor in financial services ever again but to follow my bliss instead.

I've stepped onto my new road and progressed a little way - I'm teaching patchwork and general sewing (with 2 new classes starting next term in our local community house), I've hung out my shingle for long-arm quilting services, I'm starting a Diploma in Textiles next year on a part time basis and I'm still planning what items I want to make and sell on Etsy, or the markets, or wherever.

Today, as I sat outside, in the sunshine, and pinned and sewed, I thought to myself - this is SO right.  I'm smiling right now - and truly hoping you get to follow your bliss too.

I have been very industrious in the glorious Melbourne sunshine today - I have TWO finishes:

Do.Good Stitches 'Cherish' quilt:


The Hills Hoist shot!
Eight other members of the Cherish Circle made 2 blocks each, in pinks and greys, and sent them to me for finishing.  Yesterday, I bought an Op Shop quilt cover which has a real retro feel about it and put it in the Napisan for a really good clean.  Once it was dry, unpicked and ironed, it became the backing for the Cherish quilt and I quilted it on the long-arm using an edge-to-edge pantograph called 'Deb's Swirls'.  I was going to use a grey and white stripe for the binding (a bit safe), but the backing, plus quite a few of the blocks on the front, suggested green - so out came a piece of my green mottled hand-dyed fabric and I made the binding out of that.
Today I completed the binding (all machine stitched) and made and attached the label.  I've spoken with the director of the Charity it's to go to, to arrange delivery and can't help smiling about how beautifully it's all come together - thanks so much to the wonderful ladies of the Cherish Circle - an inaugural quilt to be proud of and one which should bring comfort to the recipient.



Goo Goo Socks Quilt:

I have lots of gorgeous nieces - and one of them is having her first baby soon.  She's also having a baby shower on Saturday and my sister, another niece and I are travelling up to country Victoria to attend - we'll probably stay the night so we can all properly catch up - so a baby quilt was definately in order for the mum-to-be.

I wasn't really sure what I wanted to make - until I went to amitie back in June and found some gorgeous fabric called 'Goo goo socks' by Alexander Henry.  I played around with the layout in my journal but once I started putting it together, I realised my original ideas wouldn't work 'in the flesh' so to speak.  So I faffed around a bit more, added some more prints, discarded a solid or 2 and came up with a layout I liked.  I pieced the backing and yesterday I quilted it on the long-arm - again using 'Deb's Swirls' (it's fast becoming a favourite).  I also did some hand-quilting on selected blocks, in different colours, using Perle no. 12 thread.  Today, I put the binding together (one of the original discarded solids) and machine stitched it all on (loving this - it's soooo much quicker than hand stitching the binding down as well as more robust).  Then the label and ..............voila

Another Hills Hoist shot - it was beautifully sunny when I took the photo and the Hoist just shines on through!
Here's where I 'worked' today.....


aaaaah, Bliss indeed..............

7 comments:

  1. Glad you found your bliss. I am a bit like that in my life these days - fortunately without having to go through something traumatic. I like where I am within myself, how I am living my life the way I wish not the way other's preceive you should, and that being happy with myself benefits my family in many ways. All this can only be good.

    Your quilt tops are lovely. Your happiness even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I see the more I like - what lovely work you've been doing. The more I hear the more I realise we have lots in common - I love the way you have described your journey as 'finding your bliss' - this is beautiful.

    Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your attitude and that you are doing what is important to you. The quilts have turned out beautifully, I am so honoured to have been a part of the do good stitches quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilts and love the labels too! Finding your bliss is such a blessing! Not only to you but to others whose lives you touch! :) Happy stitching and many hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that you are able to do what you want to do - and your quilts are beautiful.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well beautiful lady if anyone deserves this then its you. I haven't visited in ages and look how much you've achieved. Love all of your quilts - I wish I lived closer so that you could teach me to sew properly. Enjoy your BLISS xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there a do.good stitches Australia circle? If you are on facebook you're welcome to join our quilt club Australia group. :) I wish you all the best in your endeavor. Wish I had the guts to hang out my shingle and just quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments - so please feel free!!