Sunday 17 July 2011

Kokoda

As I write this, my little brother has already been walking for over 24 hours in Australia's toughest endurance event.

My LB is trekking in the Gold Coast Hinterland, over 96 kms, along fire trails, crossing 12 creeks and gaining 5,000m of vertical elevation, in honour of the spirit forged on the Kokoda Track in 1942: Mateship, Endurance, Courage and Sacrifice.

This Kokoda Challenge Association raises funds, in part, to:

"Identify young Australians at a crossroads in their life and provide support to help them reach their potential."

If you asked him, my LB will say he answered "yes' before he realised what was involved - and that's probably true: He has never done anything like this before, he has always (and continues to do so, along with his gorgeous wife) provided a loving and open environment in his own home.  They are raising 3 talented, loving and family oriented children and that wonderful atmosphere of love and family envelops all who walk through their door.

But I beleive that the driver for him, the reason he spent hours training, raising funds and awareness, was to support an organisation that could potentially provide young Aussies a taste of that familial warmth, that enveloping atmosphere that simply makes you want to be a better person.

and now, because he said he would, he is actually doing the trek.

I am inordinately proud of my LB.  I love the man he is and I love his strength.  I love that he will not demand anything of anyone that he wouldn't do himself.  I love that he's a man of his word, his wicked sense of humour, his ability to laugh at himself and his fine sense of the ridiculous- and that he is a mad Manchester United fan.

He's on his way to Checkpoint 12 (of 14 checkpoints) so he's definately on the home stretch.  So wish we could be at the finish line to cheer him through.

Love you P - well done to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments - so please feel free!!